Northamptonshire – The Place to Teach
The 5 Wells Teaching School Alliance has been working closely with the other teaching schools and with the Northamptonshire Enterprise Partnership to promote Northamptonshire as the place to teach. Working in partnership we are all trying to address the recruitment issues that are facing all schools across the country by showing potential trainees that Northamptonshire can offer them an excellent start to their teaching careers.
As part of this promotion we have secured places at Train to Teach events across the country. These events are organised by the National College for Teaching and Leadership and aim to show applicants their options for routes into teaching.
So the 5 Wells TSA found itself setting up a stall at the Westminster event, held in the QEII Conference Centre, right opposite Westminster Abbey on a rather grey November Saturday. Using the materials produced by NEP – a slide show of Northamptonshire attractions and a series of posters, one of which featured our very own Jamie Pell, and fliers showing all of the School Direct providers in Northamptonshire – we talked to prospective teachers from 9am until 4pm.
There were 1700 people registered to attend the event but lots more came through on spec. There were over 70 stalls with London based teaching schools and universities and colleges. We were one of just two other counties represented at the event (the other was a joint stall by Norfolk and Suffolk.)
Being close to the entrance meant that we could nobble people as they came in. We don’t know how many people we talked to as we didn’t have time to keep a tally: as soon as one person moved off we were talking to the next person.
We used the sentence – Have you considered an alternative to training in London? – and that grabbed a great deal of attention – we handed out lots of leaflets pointing out the website: www.theplacetoteach.com.There was a real mix of primary and secondary and great interest in the special school possibilities as well as lots of returners to teaching. There even seemed to be lots of maths and sciences at secondary who have obviously been attracted by the current publicity in these areas.
Seemed to be lots of young people who were interested in Northamptonshire as somewhere to settle because London is too expensive (and we spoke to quite a number of couples who were both thinking about teaching as an option) and we made a great deal about the cost of accommodation in Northamptonshire compared to London as well as the quality of life.
There are more events coming up in Birmingham, Coventry, Peterborough and Milton Keynes to name a few at which we will also be represented. You can find out more by looking on the Place to Teach website, and on our website (www.5wellstsa.org.uk) for more details of the 5 Wells TSA School Direct offer.
Other News Pages
- Exciting News - Teaching Apprenticeships
- Support with your Pupil Premium funding?
- Keep up to date with our training offer
- Coming soon!
- Developing Governance Feedback - May 2018
- Success for 5 Wells ITT Students
- Venue Hire at 5 Wells Teaching School
- New network for SEN and Inclusion Managers
- 5 Wells Introduces Cluster Moderation for Early Years Practioners
- Outstanding 5 Wells ITT students graduate
- Windmill Primary well-represented at Northamptonshire Education Awards
- Redwell Primary are a Values School
- Return to Teaching with Inspire TSA
- 1 2 3 Magic - Information for Parents at Redwell Primary School
- Croyland Primary School is awarded E-Safety mark
- All Saints CE Primary School and Nursery Unit Awarded SIAMS Outstanding Judgement
- Know someone is interested in becoming a teacher?
- Northamptonshire – The Place to Teach
- Training the Trainer